Thursday, March 09, 2023

Ghost Mice by Karen Heuler

 3E178E49-3C6D-47B7-8F13-95291DBA4B6E

Published in the collection ‘A Slice of the Dark’ from Fairwood Press (2022)

“; pieces of change rearranged.”

This story really put my head in a spin about the gestalt that is me, the plural of me not only being mes, if not mice, but also concepts of laptop mouses, if not Mr Jinks’ cartoon meeces! This surely is a unique classic of disorientation in a world of personal computers, obliquely stirring in me wild themes and variations on the earlier obsessionally observed world in Aldiss’s ‘Report on Probability A’ (my review here), viz. observations  of observations, here, in the Heuler, a jinxed crisis of identity during a perhaps reluctant retirement from one’s workaday life in older age, where both reconstructed memories and anxieties coalesce in rogue rodent selves messaging an intrinsic self. 

I loved it. 

But I hate pieces to meeces!

My previous reviews of Karen Heuler; https://dflewisreviews.wordpress.com/tag/karen-heuler/

The above review is part of my project here: https://dflewisreviews.wordpress.com/2023/01/24/39772/

No comments: