Saturday, November 18, 2023

DON’T BE CLEVER by Georgina Bruce

 

DON’T BE CLEVER by Georgina Bruce

A short story in this author’s THE HOUSE ON THE MOON (Black Shuck Books 2023).

My previous reviews of this author HERE

Reviewed as part of my ‘Dessemination’ project HERE.

***

“People thought it was either something to do with Elon Musk, or aliens.”

I cannot tell you whether I was startled by this story or not, as that would be a spoiler. But it at least took me by surprise, as I followed Suzanne who needed more space from her husband and children  and  travelled on her own  to an idyllic Croatian island with many quiet or secret coves where she found herself being harassed by a fellow tourist, a woman who was simply full of her own chakras! And when a chosen mystic stone became a rock much smaller than the moon …. I thought of my journey many years ago through the Art of Astrology and the ‘mansions of the moon’, and when certain planets transited certain ‘houses’ of my own natal chart.  Suzanne needed space indeed, and another of  Musk’s rockets exploded today, as I synchronously witnessed in today’s news just before reading this remarkable story. Yes, Astrology is synchronicity not cause and effect, I have always found myself arguing. Yet, maybe I should pay heed to the story’s title. And, by the way, it is not a spoiler to say it is a remarkable story, as I just did, as I feel it deserves anthologising again and again.  And I say that advisedly, having reviewed all THESE mainstream anthologies in recent years. But who is Brian Cox?

“She had no idea how long she’d been sleeping when she felt a jostling at her elbow,…”

No comments: