Wednesday, July 15, 2020

We All Hear Stories In The Dark (3)

Robert Shearman

98BF0C0E-CEC4-477C-8BB8-79158B78C8C1

WE ALL HEAR STORIES IN THE DARK by Robert Shearman

Part Three of my review as continued from HERE.

When I read each story, my thoughts will be shown in the comment stream below….

THE GIRL FROM IPANEMA
“Picasso painted the absurd images in his head. But I make my images live, and then, only then, do I paint them.”
Those are the words of the famous Brazilian artist, a magus of a man called Saras, in this substantive work that is a Shearman must-read. It is really an art installation novel in long short story form as well as somehow fully spreading its arms as a massive novel, like the Christ statue above Rio, a statue where we can imagine today’s statue killers beheading it and placing Saras’ head on top instead, just for the brute avant garde act of it. This work is perhaps the first culmination of the whole book, a third of the way through my sequenced reading of it. A book with sporadic culminations along the way. We shall see. It tells of the narrative man (working for an art gallery in London and visiting Saras about a possible prestigious exhibition for his firm), a narrator who may be at one point drugged by Saras or Saras’ wife (the latter being an incredible patchwork-art female character to whom I can do no real erotically asexual and ugly justice here in my review however wide I widen my appreciative arms to tentatively embrace her) … so he is an unreliable narrator because either he was indeed drugged or mendaciously telling us he was not drugged…. anyway his experience of ‘rutting the rhino’, is an apotheosis of what I shall now call the ‘abracadabra’ context that I have hedged talking about above and nobody really understands as a word…. and perhaps that context is the gestalt I still seek. A context involving Azathoth or blending bodily amorphousnesses. Meanwhile, just think of the probable truth of Shearman speaking the words of that Picasso-related quote above — but in the context of writing about, rather than painting about…

GOOD GRIEF
“Then he asked the clincher. He asked if there’d been any itrauma in his life recently,…”
Every day, for me, is an itrauma! – especially during these days of the co-vivid träumerei to which most of us are submitted every time we attempt to sleep. The attempt, for example, of others to infiltrate dreams face to face with each other along the lines of this book’s ‘abracadabra’ bodily syndrome or mutual melding etc….This story, at one point, frighteningly described exactly a certain numbness symptom of the illness I have been suffering lately and that made me remember that for some years I have been stating publicly that this style of gestalt real-time reviewing of books needs as many readers as possible to triangulate the coordinates of each book. And then each individual triangulation universally triangulated. Even the author’s own triangulation, which is just one triangulation among many, all triangulations being equally valid. To help with each other’s heavy-lifting of the material they are reading (enjoyable though that heavy-lifting is, and, for me, if a book does not need heavy-lifting, it is not enjoyable at all.) THIS book, so far, is the optimum book in that respect. It really is. And ‘Good Grief’ is the tipping-point, a compelling work that deals with marital bereavement from the husband’s point of view, encompassing many of the potentially perceived themes of this book so far, and many of my expressed thoughts about such themes, and, here with the synchronicities involving the wife’s death, her arguably ghostly return, re-symbiosis of the marriage, the death’s head-on, face-on car crash details and the other people involved now coalescing almost as a romcom in the plot’s gestalt, absurdist, theatrical, emotionally moving and disturbing. And by the way, is the nose automatically airbrushed from the eyesight by one’s brain?

No comments: